Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl

I can't talk about any of these stories without completely ruining them. It's essentially like reading four extended dirty jokes. As with any good dirty joke, they all end with someone being humiliated or harmed or somehow ironically put out.

But, every story is something like forty pages long, and there is good character development. That means that you can't just laugh off the endings like you can with a dirty joke, because you actually grow to like or possibly care about the characters, so their sudden transformation into a punchline can actually hurt you.

A quick read, very fun, especially good for those of you with twisted minds.

2 comments:

Lester Hunt said...

I know this is off-topic, but I just noticed that you are planning on posting on The Collected Stories of Ben Hecht. Please do! I'm a big Hecht fan, but I haven't read that particular book. His autobiography, Child of the Century, is a wonderful book, a key to understanding the old Hollywood.

Beth said...

Oh, it's hard to get through a book of short stories and then write about them. I had the same trouble sticking to the collection of Montaigne essays.

I read Child of the Century when I was still an impressionable teenager, so I can honestly say it changed my life. I still think back to so many of those short pieces as keystones to understanding love, expression, God, audience, and so on.