Wednesday, April 2, 2008

and now for something completely different . . .

"Why I Have No Taste" by Ben Hecht, from A Child of the Century

I prefer fine books and an exalted style and masterful probings. But when I read the other books, the ones sprung from equally ardent but smaller heads, I feel no lessened pleasure. I supply, as well as I can, what is missing. I skip what is too untrue. I am content with their smaller ambition. I do not praise them after they are closed, but while I read them I am as pleased as if no better books existed.

When I was a literary critic in Chicago, writing in the most iconoclastic publication of our times, The Little Review, run by Margaret Anderson, I could never attack books. I wrote only of books I could praise. I was ready to undermine in print such institutions as marriage, democracy and heaven. But books I could never sabotage, any more than I could publicly hiss actors.

My chief drawback as a literary reviewer was not kindness, however, but an inability to read any book through the assaying scale of my culture. When I read David Graham Phillips I was not aware of having read Gogol. When I enjoyed Paul de Kock, I had no memories of the pleasures of Stendhal. Each one, at his own time, was as good as the other. And with such an attitude one can never go far as a critic.

I used to argue about this with my friend, Sasha. He was Alexander S. Kaun, a smoldering Muscovite come to Chicago after some ineffectual bomb-throwing in the north of Russia. Despite this political activity, he was, basically, not a politician but a man of letters. He later became Professor of Russian Literature at the University of California in Berkeley. I never saw him in his cap and gown, for he died before my travels led me to San Francisco Bay.

In his pre-professorial youth, we argued during all-night sessions such as only political caucuses hold nowadays. In that time, sweet pause before chaos, literature was a more burning issue than it is at present. It is now a bauble in the hands of publishers, critics and readers. It was then a secret flame in the hands of the dedicated.

My point of view infuriated Sasha. I professed not to see any difference between a beautiful object and an ordinary one. I said that I liked all books in the manner that I liked all girls who were presentable. When with a girl of moderate allure, I did not disdain her because there were lovelier specimens in the world. Rapture might be limited, but criticism was surely out of place. And what did one gain by making oneself constantly toe the mark of preference--except fewer delights? In loving, or reading, a man was a fool to sit in judgment when he might lie in pleasure.

This aesthetic was lineal descendant of my young self in the attic room where I had found no difference in the charms of Nick Carter and Hamlet, nor outside the room, between hired girls and high-school princesses. A mediocre book or woman never lessened my opinion of myself.

I have outgrown some of this wholeness. But culture that deprives one of the many joys of being uncultured still seems to me a misuse of the mind. I have railed often against books in discussions with their readers. But it was actually the readers I was fomenting. The books were innocent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, really lovely. Never read that -- thanks for posting it.

Beth said...

Of course. I sometimes open his book and just read a passage at random. I also really enjoyed "Why Men Like Each Other."

I appreciate Hecht increasingly as time goes by. I will read his short stories, soon, and kinda want to get my own copy of his 1001 books. He's SO good.

Anonymous said...

'ey, well, you really did leave facebook. Kudos. I guess :') On the other hand, me sending you stuff is not entirely convenient now, so I have to say, at a personal and selfish level I am slightly disappointed. Plus all your wall posts have died ;.( I hate when correspondence falls into a digital abyss.

Anyhoo, here's a link I'm 99.9% sure you'll like. If you don't want me to post links and such to your blogs, you'll need to email me, avic@uclink.berkeley.edu, your email address, because unfortunately it was in the note, which has now been deleted from facebook ::sigh::

Anyways, enjoy the link :') Oh man, I'd bet fifty bucks you'll like it, but I don't want to say what it is because I want you to be surprised.

http://www.slate.com/id/2189316/